Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Back Pain

I have been dealing with a back injury for over a year but it really became a problem in April.  The MRI showed a disc bulge at L5.  I have tried physical therapy, chiropractic care, trigger point injections, three different epidural injections, heat, baths, no exercise, some walking, yoga, some gym time, etc.  I don't seem to be responding to any treatment and it has been VERY frustrating to say the least!

I am someone who doesn't like to sit still.  I like to walk my dogs and volunteer at the Animal Shelter walking those dogs.  I had done cross fit religiously for 2 years before I had to stop because it was just too painful.  I used to go to cross fit, then walk dogs, go grocery shopping and run around my house doing my chores.  Now I can only do one active activity, rest and limp my way through the rest of the day.  It sucks!

Working out is a mental thing for me as much as being physical.  I love what cross fit has done for my body; lots of muscles and an appreciation for barbells.  Never did I think I could be one of those bad ass girls but I am/was (kind of, always room for improvement!!) and because of it, my 12 year old daughter doesn't see any difference between men and women lifting weights.

Without getting that good sweat in every day, it really messes with my mood and self esteem. It is hard to have to rest a lot yet still not feel good.  I am 43 years old and I refuse to let pain win the war but it certainly has won the battle.

Next up is a new pain med that should help the pain in my nerves and I will try acupuncture.  I am pretty excited about that!  I will try anything to hep with the pain and get off meds.

I have another doctor who believes my pain is stress related and we are working with supplements, mediation and anything to keep me calm (!) to help with the inflammation.  I am willing to try anything and everything.  I do believe the body can heal itself but sometimes it needs a nudge(or a swift kick) to help it out.  I don't like to complain and I try not to but sometimes I can't help it.

No comments:

Post a Comment